“The Coronavirus (COVID – 19) pandemic led to great uncertainty, worry and challenge for families of children and young people with a learning disability. We know it’s important for families to maintain their resilience, connections, health and wellbeing during these challenging times which can be difficult. The Learning Disability Matters for Families team have pulled together in one place a range of resources, contacts and useful information from across national and regional organisations that we hope you will find useful to support you.
A short film by Shared Lives Dr Steve Noone (Clinical Psychologist) for carers about the five ways to wellbeing.
A brief film created by Beacon House around mindful planting helping to focus on the here and now.
5,4,3,2,1 grounding with Dr Helen Williams. A brief minute film created by Beacon House to help you to engage with the present.
Strategies to support parents/carers
short film by Dr Louise Acker and East London NHS Trust in supporting families with a range of universal strategies during isolation.
- A guide for parents or carers of children and young people with a learning disability and or autism around internet safety by CEREBRA can be found here.
- A free information book explaining Coronavirus to children by Gruffalo illustrator Axel Scheffler by Nosy Crow can be found here.
- Books Beyond Words – a selection of books around coping with coronavirus can be found here.
- Children’s guide to coronavirus by the Children’s Commissioner can be found here.
- Carol Gray Social Stories My Story About Pandemics and the Coronavirus can be found here.
- A nurse dotty book – Dave the Dog is worried about Coronavirus can be found here.